[meteorite-list] Northwest Africa Falls - Question

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:22:44 -0500

Please don't misunderstand me... I just said there was reason to be
suspicious from a statistical point of view, and of course there is an
obvious financial motive. But I was not saying that I thought any of
the fall stories were false, since I never even tried to assess them.

So let's see if there is consensus to be found here on these recent
falls. I did a simple reading of the fall accounts and used google
scholar to search for cosmogenic nuclide or other supporting data. Here
are my zeroth order ratings of each fall story:

Chergach - highly likely
Bassikounou - highly likely
Benguerir - probable
Beni M'hira - probable
Bensour - questionable
Oum Dreyga - questionable
The new one - nothing to evaluate
Maigatari-Danduma - ignore since it isn't really in the NWA region

Bensour is such a weak story that I'm leaning towards changing it from a
fall to a find in my database, which is basically what the MetBull
article also said. I'm not even sure how it got listed as a fall. Do any
of you take issue with this?

The Oum Dreyga story also has strange elements. The witnesses saw it
"falling on ... [the] mountains," which probably means that if there was
a real fall, it was very distant. The fact that many of the stones were
weathered also raises my doubts. So I rate this as weak. Anybody want
to take the stand on Oum Dreyga's behalf? Or argue against any of the
ones I called probable or highly likely?

If two are really finds and one is eliminated because it is really not
in this region, then we are left with 4 in the 2000s decade, plus the
new one which remains to be seen. Four is certainly a more palatable
number than eight from a blind statistical point of view, neglecting
other sociological factors.

Jeff