[meteorite-list] Comet smashes triggered ancient famine ???

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:09:45 -0700 (MST)

Hi Doug:

This is one of many models for the capture and a very possible one.
However, from what I see of the obital evolution and the actual abstract,
I would say that prior to capture, in this model, SL9 was a Jupiter family
comet which is a far cry from an asteroid belt object (had to come close
to Jupiter multiple times).

The asteroid belt goes out to 3.3 AU, so not with nearly 2 AU of Jupiter,
not like the pre-capture SL9.

Larry
PS Never said it was a dramatic capture!