[meteorite-list] Comet smashes triggered ancient famine ???

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:50:15 -0500

Larry wrote:

"1. As far as I know, scientists still do not know where SL9 came from
("beyond Neptune"). Probably a captured comet that happened to come too
close to Jupiter on its first pass or one of its first passes into the
inner part of the Solar System."

Hi Larry, Listees,

IMO, it was far from that dramatic sort of initial Jovian fishing
expedition in those passes, in that SL9, before it's chaotic Jupiter
capture looked like one of our favorite kinds of asteroids with an
orbit likely CONFINED inside the main asteroid belt and with
sufficiently of low inclination (though with lower probability it could
have been stuck a little further out, at most, into the zone between
Jupiter and Saturn). While all short period comets like SLP have a
pinball aspect to their orbits before getting stuck within, say, inside
Neptune's orbit, SL9 just did what any meteoroid with potential would
have done in that it got too close to Jupiter and stretched out its
orbit like pulling a rubber band. As this is thought to have happened
right at aphelion, the comet was basically at a standstill when Jupiter
bumbled by and it transferred into a Jovian orbit by basically falling
into Jupiter in an extremely eccentric orbit (as you point out), and
 from there on, just got too close to Jupiter as Jupiter and the Sun
ironed out tyheir differences without JPL pushing the comet's
outgassing buttons.

Here is a sc
ienific eplanation and a graphical evolution of the capture
orbits as calculated by astrophysicists:
http://tinyurl.com/742lbr

Of course, where SL9, or anything else for that matter before being in
the e.g., asteroid belt, came from, whether 25 or 2.5 billion years
earlier, makes for good philosophy.

A minor sampling of thoughts on this event from a meteoritical
perspective...and for all good hearted Comet-fearing humans:

The collision of SL9 with Jupiter was a great event to have been alive
to have observed, but should be put in the appropriate context
regarding orbit dynamics and the inner Solar system (read: frequencies
of collision with Earth). While such a Jupiter collision may well be a
once in 6000 (as you suggested) year event, one very pleasing rigorous
analysis concluded that such event:

" In particular, we show that, for Jupiter-interacting* comets of
greater than 1 km diameter, a Jupiter impact takes place every 500 to
1000 years, and an Earth impact every 2 to 4 million years."

The sort of study great pops the ballon of theories suggesting that
comets frequently strike Earth (and shape evolution frequently in
thousands or tens of thousands of years periods). The important detail
lies within the observation that the residence time for comets in the
Terrestrial (inner) Solar system is so short and chaotic from an
orbital perspective, and the planets so small (for example, see Larry's
cross section
, but he was actually waaaaay overestimating it since we
need to also consider the inclinations of the comets), that there is
virtually nil chance = 2 - 4 million years vs. what we saw happen on
Jupiter. Furthermore, what led to that collision, as has already been
suggested is that Jupiter was able to capture the comet to start with.
That is not something the Earth is adept at doing considering the
relative size of the Sun and its gravitational potential vs. ours in
the uptown part of the Solar neighborhood. Here is the excellent
statistical vs. observational treatise by T. NAKAMURA (National
Astronomical Observatory, Japan) and H. KURAHASHI (Sano-Fuji Optics
Company, Japan), THE ASTRONOMICAL JOURNAL, 115:848-854, Feb. 1998.

http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/1538-3881/115/2/848/970144.html

*ok, so have the wild card of hyperbolic comets and highly inclined
rogue comets and the likes of the kitchen sink of things that don't fit
nicely into the Solar system intro textbook. Perhaps this provides
some SOLice for the frequent Terrestrial-cometary collision proponents.

Anyway, this is my take on it Larry, and it is based on oldies but
goodies regarding the papers cited. I can't find, and don't know that
anyone has done anything particularly revolutionary since then.

Best wishes, great health and keep looking up,
Doug