[meteorite-list] Galvanic Cleaning of Rusters

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 19:10:16 -0500

Greetings, all,

I wanted to share (re-post?) a tip for galvanic cleaning of rusty irons.
Common and safe materials, quick, easy, and very effective!

The instructions are here:
http://www.meteoritemarket.com/Galvanic.pdf
http://www.meteoritemarket.com/Galvanic.pdf

I stumbled on it some time ago at our own Eric Twelker's informative site:
http://www.meteoritemarket.com/
http://www.meteoritemarket.com/

... but hadn't tried it until recently.

I have a 5 kg Campo, some smaller Campos, and a couple of Sikhote-Alins that were rusting, flaking, or showing small relentless beads of moisture in spots no matter what I tried to stop it.

If there is an easy way to come to an end I'll take it, so I was determined to give this galvanic method a shot and I am delighted with the results!

The largest Campo was covered in a red oxidized powder and orange spots all over, especially in the regmaglypts,
- One Campo was flaking so badly that I could hear pieces falling off whenever I walked into the same room,
- Smaller Campos with a few weeping and rusting spots,
- two Sikhote-Alin shrapnel that had almost no rust but a dark material build-up where there were weeping spots, which I suspect was some type of oil.

I also had a small broken-off piece of a badly rusted Branhin rusted so badly there was nothing to lose by trying.

I used Arm and Hammer washing soda, cheap at Walmart, and distilled water.
I also used heavy-duty aluminum foil to wrap the specimens, along with some additional chunks of high-quality aluminum thrown in, salvaged from old computer parts. Can any chemists advise if the extra would make a difference?

When I cleaned the smaller ones I did all pieces at the same time.

I used a "microwave safe" plastic tub (which I got at a dollar store) capable of handling the boiling water, and for after the galvanizing I used a variety of synthetic bristle brushes I got there, too, including a very useful denture toothbrush (superior to a regular toothbrush) for tight spots https://jawproducts.authsecure.com/images/denturebrushlarge_all.jpg

A word of warning - don't use a brush you want to use for anything other than this - the bristles turn black, and I haven't discovered a way to clean them, yet.

I am pleased to report that the results were absolutely brilliant! Beyond my expectations!

I didn't even have to follow up with a steel bristle brush.
All the Campos and S/A look nice and clean, with the black fusion crust looking fresh.

There have been chats here about appreciation of patina, but for me active rust is something different.

It's been just over a month, now, and I don't see any re-occurring signs of moisture droplets or rusting.
Even the flaking seems to have ceased!

The Branhin doesn't rust anymore, either, but as cautioned in the article I don't think it is a good idea to galvanize any pallasite.

Acknowledgements and appreciation to Erik, and the authoring Ray Pickard of the Bathurst Observatory in Australia.

Cheers,
Pete