[meteorite-list] question for thin section collectors

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 18:59:39 EST

Hi Leigh Anne, I'm answering on list so any one can correct me if I am not
accurate in my assessment.

First, a standard biological microscope slide is 1" X 3" or 25 mm X 75 mm.
A standard petrographic slide is 25 mm X 45 mm. Quite a bit shorter!

I have a large pile of petrographic slides (Meteorite thin sections) that I
keep in those plastic cases Mike Tettenborn just posted about. I like the
cases but I have often looked for a cool slide box fitted to the smaller
petrographic slides.

I have found many biological slide boxes.

It would seem to me that the meteorite community would enjoy a quality
petrographic slide box.

Also, and this is just a personal observation, I would think that the
collectors with a quantity of slides, worth hundreds and at times thousands each,
would appreciate a beautiful work of art and not just an other box. I have
found some vintage black bake light boxes in the smaller size but that is about
as cool as I could come up with after a lot of searching.

The great old wood Victorian Microscope slide boxes are almost entirely the
larger size. Post the list if he makes any!!!

Tom

In a message dated 1/4/2009 4:30:53 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,