[meteorite-list] What makes a hammer a hammer?

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 13:01:10 +1100

Hi Michael,

There's another way to look at it too. The two falls you mentioned were
massive and there were thousands of individual stones. In my opinion it's
only a "hammer" if the individual stone actually hit something. For example
you can't really say that the whole Allende fall was a hammer if only a
couple of stones hit things. I guess it comes down to provenance too. Many
of the good dealer/hunters these days get proof of where particular stones
hit when chasing a fresh fall. In my opinion Thuathe was one of the best
cataloged falls with MANY individual stones precisely recorded by both
researchers and hunters alike.

Cheers,

Jeff