[meteorite-list] What makes a hammer a hammer?

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 01:35:45 -0500

Hello Mike,

Greetings from a foggy night in Georgia!

I created a list a while back of meteorites that had struck human, animals
and man-made objects (what I called HAMs - Michael Blood extended the term
to "hammers"). I did it for fun and to demonstrate the relationship between
falls and population density. It used to be on the IMCA website but I don't
it there anymore. I included witnessed falls which I believed had a
reliable and valid reference. If you want a copy of the table, I believe I
still have a copy and can email it to you.

As to the issue of whether or not a given stone or iron actually hit
something, I believe one can differentiate between a hammer stone (or iron)
vs. a hammer fall. A hammer stone would be the actual stone which hit
something (e.g., Claxton) and a hammer fall meaning a least one stone of a
given fall actually hitting something (e.g., Allende).

As to why someone may or may not describe a fall as a "hammer," some may
simply be unaware of the status of a given fall (with regard to it actually
hitting something) and some may play up other characteristics which are more
scientifically interesting. For example, Dave's reference to Murchison is
correct. Murchison is more widely known within the meteorite community as
containing a variety of amino acids, rather than some fragments hitting
something. That is the reason most people purchase it (and why there is a
very nice piece is my collection - thank you Michael Blood).

Some simply copy verbatim what others have written, without doing their own
research.

Hope this helps.

-Walter Branch