[meteorite-list] AD> Encyclopedia-of-meteorites.com website for sale >>>

From: Mark Crawford <mark_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 23:22:33 +0000

Whoa, Michael :)

Pierre said he hoped it wouldn't be purchased by someone who would "use
the information for his business" - which isn't the same as saying not
to a dealer. In fact, in the original posting, he explicitly said he'd
prefer to sell to an IMCA member "or a well-known meteorite dealer". So
I don't think it's fair to characterise his post as you did.

A bigger question is data protection and copyright. There's no question
Pierre can sell the domain and his web code, but the info in the
database belongs to those who have submitted it. Same applies to the
extensive images stored there. I think it's reasonable to insist that
the new owner (curator?) respects our copyright and doesn't use the
images/data for commercial ends without prior permission.

Mark

--
Mark's Meteorite Pages: http://meteorites.cc