[meteorite-list] Carancas

From: Jerry Flaherty <grf2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 08:56:49 -0500

I know in my heart that you are absolutely right Elton. But there are so few
environments out here that can provide accessible search areas that it's my
last "hope" of following in the footsteps of all of the List's exciting
adventures.
I've even done some magnet snorkle dives driven by the tales recounted here.
I probably won't throw money into an expensive detector unless and until
there is more evidence to support such ideas..
As far as kettle ponds are concerned, underlying terrain provides the
pattern of these.
And yes, glacial deposits would overlay any evidence of impact.
However, my assumption, or hypothesis, considers the best case senerio or
senerios. Either post glacial origin or other, as yet to be undetermined,
factors compromising glacial fill [tsunami, earthquake, and about the same
luck as would be needed to win a lottery in picking the right pond, etc].
Thanks for the response. Always reassuring to be recognized, especially by
someone as thoughtfully challanging as you.
P.S. google "cattle pond" in plymouth, ma, 02360. Note its shape. Instead of
being shallow, it's quite deep. And oh yea, it's in my "backyard".