[meteorite-list] Carancas

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:36:41 -0800 (PST)

Hey stimulate the economy buy the detector and wetsuit and have at it, Jerry you might defeat the odds at that.

BUT of those 360+ natural ponds, at least 359 of them are kettle lakes with glacial origins..any "impact pit/crater" older than 8000-13,000 years would have been filled by glacial debris. Seems like a soil sampling auger would be more meaningful than a metal detector.? Frankly, given a 300+ year Anglo history in New England, I'll further wager at least 359 of those ponds have iron in them anyway.? I always hedge against the 6thSD outlier. The only way to know for sure is sample them all.

Elton