[meteorite-list] List Members, Job, ETC.

From: ensoramanda at ntlworld.com <ensoramanda_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 22:59:38 +0000

I am an Artist who has always been fascinated by Astronomy and meteorites since the Barwell meteorite fell just up the road on the day after my 9th birthday in 1965. Meteorites are among some of the many things that inspire my artwork and designs. I have always exhibited during my 20 years as a Lecturer in Art and Design. A head injury put a stop to my teaching career nearly ten years ago now and I have over that time had to completely change the way I work in order to stay creative...and still have a way to go I think!

I only realized I could own meteorites about eight years ago when I bought my first 869...and that 'physical' connection with astronomy was a revelation to me... just being able to touch and hold material which was older than the Earth and told us so much about our origins, not to mention seeing some of the earliest patterns and structures to have ever formed and that stay locked in time within until we find and study them.

I often travel around the world to hunt, purchase meteorites or visit impact sites now and in March I am helping with setting up a small meteorite museum, using my collection for science week at the local University, with impact experiments for families to take part in and related exhibits alongside some original Darwin artefacts.

I found my first meteorite (with which I featured on a BBC Stardate TV show) in Ireland in 2003 after the fireball on the west coast there and it is still at the OU being classified!!! Wish I was in Texas right now.

Graham Ensor, UK.