[meteorite-list] What are the top 10 most scientifically importantmeteorites?

From: Ian Nicklin <iann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 20:52:31 -0500

a couple come immediately to mind as contenders: Murchison for it's load
of carbon-based compounds, Calcalong Creek that got people looking for
planetary meteorites, the types of the various carbonaceous chondrites
and the achondrites might be considered but we're well over ten at this
point. a few suggestions anyway.

>>> Jason Utas <meteoritekid at gmail.com> 02/13/09 8:21 PM >>>
Hola Martin,
I would have to disagree - when you go that far back, you wind up
dealing with meteorites that are of historic, rather than scientific
interest. L'Aigle may be something of an exception because it did
lead to the *scientific* acceptance of meteorites, but, from today's
scientific perspective, I wouldn't call it very important, never mind
giving it a place in the top ten. It's an ordinary chondrite, of
which there are thousands - it's no more special than, say, Tenham or
Gao - from a purely scientific point of view.
One might as well call the earliest fossils found the most important,
simply because they were found back in the day and led to our
recognition of what they really represented...while they may be
important, I would hesitate to call them extremely important from a
scientific point of view.
Regards,
Jason