[meteorite-list] "Dark Comets"

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 17:40:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi all -

Here's one for Paul's list:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126954.800-dark-comets-may-pose-threat-to-earth.htm

I love the neologism: "Dark Comets". Its one whole word shorter than "dead comet fragments". Maybe that is all that was needed: a catchy name that sums up the problem.

I don't think that anyone has ever done visible wavelength to IR conversion studies on any carbonaceous chondrites - anyone know any different?

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas

PS - Mike, the off-site back up slogan is "daily by the week, weekly by the month, monthly by the year". Parallel or mirrored drives work pretty well, and it is best to store sensitive information on a machine not connected to the net in any way.