[meteorite-list] Meteorwrongs

From: meteoriteman at comcast.net <meteoriteman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:00:46 +0000 (UTC)

I received a sample of Joe's meteorwrong a couple of months ago when it was still being tested by the lab. Like the Counte, my first impression was that it was to light in weight to be a meteorite. Also the numerous vesicles were a bad sign. I tested it for nickel content and got a weak response, but nickel is there. I think it is rust prone cause of the weak nickel content. Applying a coat of automotive wax will help protect it from rusting. I also tested it for density and got 2.6 density. A meteorite with that much metal in it would have a density of at least 3.5. It's probably slag, but most slags that I have found have a different metal disbursement, that's in circular droplets instead if the ribbon type in Joe's specimen. It's a great meteowrong!

A couple of years ago I found one that is similar to Joe's. At first I thought it might be a lunar, but it's slag also. Here's a few photo's of it.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/Jimski47/P4280002.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/Jimski47/P4280014.jpg

Close up of the armored chondrule.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/Jimski47/222.jpg