[meteorite-list] (meteorobs) Geminid photos uploaded/did anyone notice anything unusual ab...

From: countdeiro at earthlink.net <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:51:07 -0500 (EST)

George Zay said ">>Perhaps it's just me, but did anyone else notice more persistent trains
than usual? Although there were not too many fireballs that I saw, even
dimmer (but still negative magnitude) Geminids seemed to leave long
lasting trains.<<

Would anyone care to share their knowledge of the factors at play in the production of visible "trains"? I would surmise that the velocity of the object has less to do with this than the mass and the penetration to denser lower altitudes.

Count Deiro