[meteorite-list] Meteorite Hunters Wanted

From: Mike Hankey <mike.hankey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:20:49 -0400

Hey Guys,

First just wanted to say thanks for all the replies I got yesterday
regarding my purchase inquiry. There is a lot of great stuff out
there. Really amazing.

I know most of you all are not from the east coast or near PA, but I
wanted to share this with you anyway:

http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/baltimore-pa-meteor/meteorite-hunters-wanted/

I've gotten about 6 people off the m-list / internet who are searching
or wanting to help search in PA. I've also got about a dozen or so
friends that are helping, but the bottom line is we need a lot more
feet on the ground. If any of you are interested, lmk. Any help you
can provide from the comfort of your own homes is appreciated as well.
I've gotten so much help from so many people on this search it really
blows my mind. Thanks to everyone for your help and support.

If you don't think that finding meteorites in this area / from this
fall is possible, please read this:

http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/baltimore-pa-meteor/words-of-encouragement/

We have about a two month window to recover these meteorites. If we
haven't done it by mid / end of November it probably won't happen. So
I'm giving this one final big push and keeping my fingers crossed.

I've been spending a lot of time reviewing the maps / area. What I've
done this weekend is cut up the entire map into aprox 100 acre
squares. One of these squares could be searched pretty well by one
person in 1-3 days. There are aprox 80 total squares in the area. So
my thinking is if we could get 10 good team leaders with teams of 2-3
people each we could potentially cover the entire area in the 1-2
month time frame.

The other strategy I'm banking on is turning the local farmers into
meteorite hunters. The families in this area will be covering every
inch of the ground over the next 2 months and they keep their fields
very clean. If we can reach all of them, raise awareness, teach them
what to look for and convince them that finding meteorites is a good
thing, we might have a shot at recovery. The local lancaster newspaper
is publishing a story about the hunt this week and I'm also sending
out information packets to all residents who have 20+ acre properties.

If anyone has any tips, tricks or advice that could help us recover
these meteorites please lmk. If you are interested in searching or
managing a search team, please contact me.

Thanks,

Mike