[meteorite-list] Speed-of-light question

From: Rob Matson <mojave_meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 20:56:29 -0700

Hi Eric and List,

> Light itself travels 186,000 miles per second. Do most people
> really understand how fast that truly is? Do people realize
> how long it would take to travel ANYWHERE in our universe?

At the speed of light, you can actually travel anywhere in the
universe *instantaneously* -- from your own reckoning of time.
Which brings up a special relativity question for you all: at
what velocity must you travel in order to reach Alpha Centauri
(4.37 light-years away) in exactly 4.37 years -- by *your*
reckoning of time?

--Rob