[meteorite-list] Kem-Kem was never the generic for NWA

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 00:50:48 -0400

The Kem Kem meteorites from Casper were a trigger for the NomCom
approving the NWA designation, which was my coinage in January
2000. But to really understand the history, you need to go back a
few years earlier, to El Hammami (aka Hamada du Draa), which was the
first case for which the NomCom became aware that meteorites were
being transported and sold in this region. With this history, plus a
series of inquiries from other dealers about the Kem Kem meteorites,
compounded by our inability to learn many details about those
meteorites from Casper, we needed to take action of some kind. We
decided on a generic term, Northwest Africa, that could be applied as
a "tracking" label to all stones, even ones that had not been
classified, so that individual meteorites would not be divided and
sold under multiple names. We also had no ability to investigate
multiple vague or anonymous claims about meteorite provenance in the
region. Thus it was decided that all of these meteorites would be
named NWA, even those that had been classified. I'm not sure what
ever happened to the Kem Kems that triggered the whole thing. Since
I don't think Casper ever numbered them, there were no synonyms to
publish, assuming they eventually became NWAs.

jeff

Jeff