[meteorite-list] Must-see Martian in 3-D

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:57:58 -0500

Hi, Kelly, List,

    We can see that the shape is roughly
what we would expect for an iron that could
survive to arrive in one piece on a planetary
surface. The criteria are: low entry velocity,
shallow entry angle, and a flattened broad
shape.

    This iron is a flattened rectangle with a
mild central bulge. This is not a shape that
ablation would create, so it must be only
slightly modified from the pre-entry shape.
It's very similar to the aerodynamic designs
called "lifting bodies."
http://members.fortunecity.com/gvanroy1/homebuilt/facetmobile01.jpg

    We can assume a density of 7.7 gr cm^3
for meteoric iron. With dimensions of roughly
60-65 cm x 35-40 cm x 20-25 cm, with sides
faceted at 30-40 degrees, I come up with a
mass range of 310 kg to 360 kg as most likely.
(I made the assumption that the bottom is
symmetrical with the top, as the iron is
standing up off the surface about the same
distance as the height of the visible upper
bulge.)

    Too heavy to drag home. I don't even think
we could get it into the 4x4, assuming this not
BLM land, that is...

Sterling K. Webb