[meteorite-list] AD drama - an idea to solve it.

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:03:24 -0700 (PDT)

While I am not a big fan of multiple ads per day/week for the same stuff from the same seller, I find all the complaint posts far worse and consider them and the replies very unwanted...

I offer a very reasonable solution to this drama.

Get rid of the one ad per week rule, or enforce it. Plain and simple.
By now we are all aware of the one ad per week rule.

If the rule is to stay in place, anyone who posts more then 1 ad in 6 days time should be suspended for violation of list rules.

If the rule is done away with, people should be able to post as many ads as they wish and the list subscribers can simply use the delete button.
However, I honestly think if the rule is done away with, this list would quickly turn into an AD-list that would be little more then a source for dealers to advertise material and many of the informative posts would get lost in the mix.

NO more ad rules would take care of people complaining about the "spam" of ads, sometimes 3 per day (which I do think is just a little overboard) and violation of the list rules. But the downside... if people are posting 3 ads per day sometimes with the ad rule in place, what would they do without it?

That said, I do think its time for the owner of the list to stand up and say this is the way it is going to be, live with it or go away.
Toss the ad rule, or enforce it... but do something about this. By not acting on this is doing serious harm to the list, and that is something that none of us want.

just my opinion.

Greg