[meteorite-list] Questions about accretion.

From: Erik Fisler <erikfwebb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 21:25:30 -0700

Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites, Norton, Page 36.
"There are two models that could describe the interior of
a chondritic asteroid parent body. The origional body is
accreted as it orbits in the protoplanetary disk. The
result is a homogeneous body with its mineral components
evenly distributed throughout the interior. Internal
heating by the short-lived radioisotope Aluminum 26
provides the energy to heat the interior from the deep core
of the body to the near surface. Thermal metamorphism
slowly heats the interior to a petrographic type 6 at the
core. The heat makes its way through the body, slowly
converting various regions of the interior to different
petrographic types from type 6 to type 3. The result is
a layered structure something like an onion's interior,
thus, the onion shell model."

enjoy,
[Erik]