[meteorite-list] -2 arrested update (Dude-- Where's My Caredition)

From: dave carothers <carothersdl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 00:37:07 -0400

Steve,

You asked: "So why do you still think that I think he OWES me an
explanation?"

As I stated in my last post, it comes from comments like "Often times,
people have very valid objections. Other times, they don't." or "Sometimes
they will say they don't want you to hunt because 23 years ago, a fisherman
left a gate open and some cows got out. But usually that isn't a valid
reason for never letting anyone ever come on their land again." Another
comment you made regarding the issue of asking to search a property was:
"Granted, people lie." Well, maybe they do, but the point is, so what? It's
their property and they don't need to explain past the answer... No.

When you say things like the above, in the context of trying to get
permission to search a property from a land owner, what is being implied is
that 1) the person owes you an explanation and 2) if the person does give
you a reason, that reason must somehow be validated as being reasonable by
you.

I apologize if I'm reading way too much into this, but I've run into a
similar situation and maybe that's why I'm sensitive to this. I've had
people wanting to buy property from me and they just won't take a simple NO!
for an answer. They too want to ask the question "Why won't you sell it to
us". I'm sorry, but I don't owe them or anyone else an explanation. Even
if I did provide an explanation, what then? They try to tell me why I'm
"wrong" and should sell to them. That to me is being arrogant.

One last item. I did not, nor would I ever say or imply that you were rude
or that your conversations with land owners are contentious or anything like
that. From all accounts, you have a stellar (no pun intended) rep. I thank
you too for your courteous replies.

Regards,

Dave