[meteorite-list] -2 arrested update (Dude-- Where's My Caredition)

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 22:37:21 EDT

Dave,

You said:

"I thank you for the detailed explanation, but I still have issue with your
idea that a land owner would owe you an explanation other than "No" when
asked to search their property."

When I clearly stated in my last post:

"Does he have an obligation to tell me why he said no? Of course not. And
did I even imply that he was obligated to? But if you don't ask, often you
don't get an answer."

*****

So why do you still think that I think he OWES me an explanation?

I don't think he owes me to let me hunt on his land, but I still ask.

He didn't owe me an explanation, but I still asked for one.

Besides, if someone owes you something, you demand, you don't ask.

I didn't demand anything, I just asked. I wasn't rude. He wasn't rude. He
didn't kick me off his driveway. He didn't even ask me to leave nor did he
end the conversation. We had a short, 3 minute talk, then I left when it was
evident he didn't care if meteorites would be lost. Maybe if I offered him
$10,000 in exchange for hunting, he might have become interested. Then again,
if he had a $500,000 "crop" out in the trees growing, $10,000 for hunting
privileges wouldn't have probably interested him either.

I didn't waste his whole day, he was doing some work, and he kept working
while I was talking.

Now, maybe someone talked with him before I did and offended him in such a
way that he was sour to not me personally, but to "meteorite hunters" in
general. That could have been the case. And it was, I would have loved to have
found that out.

But since he didn't say that, or give any reason, I just don't know.

Besides, I ended up hunting on one of his neighbors ground the next day
where we found the 1,673g specimen the day before the rains, so maybe it was a
blessing that he said "No," and that he didn't tell me why, and that I didn't
overcome his objections?

Then again, I might have changed his mind and I might have found 5 kilo rock
on his ground instead.

Who knows? It is all "water under the bridge", or should I say "rocks under
the mud" now.

Steve

**************New Low Prices on Dell Laptops ? Starting at $399
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220433304x1201394525/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubl
eclick.net%2Fclk%3B213540718%3B35046385%3Be)