[meteorite-list] More Alice Springs news

From: Mike Groetz <mpg444_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 06:15:56 -0700 (PDT)

These sound related..(and yes, I did proof read them!)
Mike

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/10/19/10535_ntnews.html

Meteor rocks NT in blaze of light

EMILY WATKINS

October 19th, 2008

TERRITORIANS were treated to an unexpected spectacle on Friday night.

What is believed to be a meteorite crashed near Wallace Rockhole near Hermannsburg, and was seen from as far away as Darwin.

Alice Springs Police received a report about 7pm of something that looked like a flare, but could not find anything. One Darwin stargazer described it as like nothing he had seen before.

"I was walking to my car looking south and saw what I thought was a falling star," he said.

"But it was far too bright - I've never seen anything so bright."

He said the bright yellow light with a smoky trail appeared suddenly in the sky.

"At first I thought, 'Oh my god, UFO'," he said. "I was quite fascinated by it."

He said he watched it for about 10 seconds from when it appeared until it disappeared into the horizon.

"I thought it was going to hit something," he said.

Alice Springs Senior Sergeant Malcolm Passmore said the event had been reported to relevant authorities, but it had not registered on any scanners.

He said meteorite landings were not uncommon, and without knowing where it had landed it could not be assessed properly.

The Territory's most famous meteorite crater is Gosse Bluff, the 6km-wide central core of a comet whose impact crater is 25km wide. It is 160km from Alice Springs.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/10/18/2394700.htm?site=science&topic=latest

Meteorite crash suspected near Alice
Posted October 18, 2008 02:00:00
Updated October 18, 2008 12:16:00

Police believe a meteorite crashed near Alice Springs on Friday night.

Residents at the remote Wallare Rock Hole Community report hearing a loud bang and feeling the ground shake at around 7:00pm local time.

Alice Springs Police have ruled out an aviation accident, saying authorities have accounted for all aircraft.

Watch Commander Senior Sergeant Malcolm Passmore says officers went to the community to investigate but did not find anything.

He says police will now talk to the US Seismic Activity Centre to see if it can provide any clues as to the meteorite's location.

"Some other follow-ups were done with the tower here at the Alice Springs airport and some further enquires are going to made here today with the seismic monitoring station here in Alice Springs," he said.

Mick Tickner from the Apatula Community Store describes seeing a spectacular light.

"[It] started off just a light trail as it passed across the sky and flared into a super brilliant gold and white light, and then looked like it was heading towards the Alice Springs area," he said.