[meteorite-list] cleaning Millbillillie ?

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 15:29:51 -0500

Steve#3 wrote:
"[not] Anything with HCL or flourine"

Harlan wrote:
"oxaclic acid work like is does when removing red clay stains form
quartz crystals?"

Hi Friends,

Just a few thoughts:

Oxalic acid will probably clean some meteoritical residue off any
quartz crystals you can find in meteorites.
Oxaclic[sic] acid only gives a good vista with Meteorites for Windows.

Flourine[sic], milk of magnesia and monocynical pigeonite eggs [cum
grano salis] are useful in a pinch in the field for starving meteorite
hunters trying to eke out a living off the land, so on this I agree
with Steve#3.*

Are quartz crystals porous in aqueous solutions? Are stony meteorites?
Are quartz crystals uniform in composition? Are stony meteorites?
Is silicon dioxide (=glass, quartz, etc.) inert to these reagents? Are
stony meteorites?

I agree it would be nice to be an alchemist, but I think this is far
more profound of a science than these posts would suggest, without an
academic evaluation of a broad range of chemistry and mineralization
processes. I say this because I do not like many "cleaning techniques"
I've seen used on metorites just to get some skin-deep aesthetics for a
quick sale. In fact, some "cleaning" procedures are based on removing
visually contaminated meteorite material and falsely refinishing the
surface and representing it as something it is not (losing information
on flight markings, etc, which has already been suggested). There are
many degrees of misrepresentation and negligence by gurus in cleaning
meteorites for personal use, but then passing them along to clueless
enthusiastic buyers. Hopefully this is recognized for what it is, just
as fake meteorite claims, or clarified with asociated label and
hopefully a lower price.

Sic transit gloria astra,
but great health anyways
Doug

PS Ponce de Leon is reputed to have washed his meteorites in Boinca
Fountain off Florida, which restored their youthful appearance. Other
cynics believe there is no such thing as a fountain of youth, and we
should just appreciate all stages of life as equally precious,
especially when getting older as challenges become more and more
impressive...

*They are good ingredients for meteorite waffles and not good
candidates for the next craze poisoning the eBay meteorite quarry.
Steve#3's example of my 1860 proof dollar coin that was buried and
impregnated in the outback for 30 years doesn't seem to remind me
either of stony meteorites or even of a proof coin that has anything
suggestive of having been struck on proof dies - so here I disagree
with this off-base analogy. Way too many apples to oranges comparisons
here (quartz crystals, etc.). Not saying that some insights on the
science with merit wouldn't be very interesting, just, so far none have
been offered.