[meteorite-list] The contest winner is.....

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 00:29:15 -0700

And the contest winner is..... Sean Murray:
----------------------
<NAME>,

Thank you for contacting me regarding your amazing meteorite find In
Arizona, USA. I am glad that you chose me as your first contact as I know
how to properly respond to your query. However, since I deal with more of
the basic meteorites that are made available to regular citizens and
collectors, I do not qualify in any way to be able to respond to your
request given your current description. A find of this importance requires
that we contact the appropriate US government associations immediately.

Unfortunately, since you have identified this meteorite as exactly like one
of the know falls related to the Roswell NM impact site, I am bound to
forward your information to the US Air force agencies that track and monitor
all meteorite falls that are considered potential threats to national
security. Since this fall you describe is on US soil in Arizona, this falls
within the aspects of the new Homeland Security directives that we are all
required to adhere.

By copy of this note I release personal responsibility for this fall to the
appropriate agencies. I've alerted the Air force strategic command center
and the new home land security division for unclassified falls and landings
on US territories.

Also, given your description, the other concern is that you indicated this
meteorite has been identified as coming from outside of our current solar
system and possibly from the father reaches of the Milky Way local galaxy,
or even beyond. As meteorites from outside of the Kuiper Belt are
incredibly rare and could be extremely dangerous, it further clarifies how
important it is that we contact the proper authorities immediately.
Fortunately, as you indicated, this specimen did not break open on impact,
so I don't think any local hazmat teams will be required. Since I am not an
expert in those matters, I will leave it to the institutions that receive a
copy of this email to make the final determination.

As I have not had the opportunity to find such an important item in my
career, I am not sure of the exact protocols on how these agencies will
engage you. As I imagine it, you are required to provide is all meteoritic
materials and a full notarized statement as to how you acquired the specimen
including the names and contact information of all people that have seen, or
have been associated with the event, and any relevant medical records
documenting any illness (common or uncommon) or persistent injuries since
the meteorite has been in your possession.

I hope this email finds you and your family still well. Please find a safe
place to store this epic find until the proper authorities arrive and
determine any potential issues. It is still possible that once all of the
investigations are complete your meteorite might be determined to be
available to the collector community. I look forward to that day. Please
treat this email with the same level of sincerity as your original query to
me regarding this incredible meteorite.

Best of luck,
Michael.