[meteorite-list] Observed lunar meteorite impacts (distribution)

From: Piper R.W. Hollier <piper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 07:46:16 +0200

Dear Mark and list,

For me the distribution of impact sites shown on the second image "A
map of the 100 explosions observed since late 2005" runs counter to
my intuition. Why is the distribution not more uniform? There are
large areas, especially near the poles, with no impacts recorded,
while other areas have rather dense clustering of impact
observations. Comets often have highly inclined orbits, so it seems
that we should expect some impacts near the poles.

Any ideas out there?

Piper