[meteorite-list] NASA Considers Manned Asteroid Mission

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 20:56:51 -0700 (MST)

Hi Sterling and others:

Be careful how you set up your tent. If you assume similar densities (the
density of the asteroid is probably less), both gravity and escape
velocity go as 1/r (r=radius).

Therefore with a mean Earth radius of 6365 km (6,635,000 m) and the radius
of the asteroid of 20 m, the gravity of the asteroid is about:

20/6365000 or 1/320,000 of Earth

and the escape velocity would be about (11.2/320000 km/s)

0.035 m/s or 3.5 cm/s (think my math is correct; never quite sure at this
hour),

so look before you leap!

Larry