[meteorite-list] NASA Considers Manned Asteroid Mission

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 20:05:33 -0500

    A grand scientific mission!
    Curiously inconsistent news story, like most news
stories. If the rock is a 40-meter diameter sphere, then
its volume is about 33,500 cubic meters, but if its mass
is 1.1 million metric tons, then its density is 32.8 times
that of water, denser than any known element. (The mass
appears to be "off" by about a factor of ten.)
    Maybe it's an asteroid from another universe?
    As for its worthiness as a target destination, a 40-meter
diameter sphere has a total surface area of just over 5000
square meters, equal to a square 70.7 meters (or 232 feet)
on a side. This is slightly more than one acre (which is
209 feet 4 inches square).
    There's about enough room to a) park the spacecraft,
b) put up a big popup tent, c) have a barbeque and picnic
table, and d) maybe, just maybe, a miniature golf course.
    A really small miniature golf course, but you know how
astronauts love to play golf.
    Try not to leave any beercans behind.

Sterling K. Webb