[meteorite-list] Terrestrial meteorites on the Moon

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 12:02:19 -0700 (PDT)

I believe that even a survivor of a fall to the surface of Luna will likely have been pulverized into regolith by the constant bombardment that reduces other moon rocks into lunar soil. Seems to me that the place to look is under the soil and under crater ejecta blankets and that will never be economical unless some sort of marker can be established to narrow the search.

Time is not on the side of meteorite survival. What were the most recent cratering events on earth that was large enough to possibly eject target rock? Chesapeake? Reis? Chuxilub? Assuming a moderate transit time that is still several tens of millions of , years on the surface.

Elton