[meteorite-list] Technical Questions - Lab Analysis of Meteorite Specimens - Methods to investigate whether specimens came from the same sample

From: Mark Grossman <markig_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 15:50:26 -0400

Technical question for the list:

Suppose there was a meteorite sample (stone, not an iron) in one collection
and a sample in another collection, and one wanted to find out if they were
once pieces from the same stone.

Obviously, there would be a physical examination as to appearance, whether
the two fit together, etc.

But what laboratory tests could be run to confirm, or at least provide
evidence to support, that the two stones were once one?

I have a chemistry background, but not a meteorite analysis background! Are
there lab techniques that can fingerprint the two specimens to show that
they are from the same stone? I am thinking about fingerprints involving
the identity and concentrations of various trace elements, perhaps using
techniques such as SEM with electron microbe analysis, neutron activation
analysis, etc. What about microscopic or X-ray diffraction analysis?

If there are such methods that can fingerprint two specimens to show that
they were once part of the same stone, how accurate are they, e.g. what is
the confidence level that one can be "assured" that the two were once one?

If the methods are destructive, how much of the meteorite would be lost in
the analysis, or put another way, how much of the meteorite do you need to
do a proper analysis?

If there are any collectors or scientists out there who know of any
published references or case studies, or perhaps a good primer on the
subject, or who have dealt with a similar situation, it would be greatly
appreciated if you would let me know.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Mark Grossman

PS - I already know that some of the tests would be expensive and
destructive, and why would a collector go through all of the trouble, etc,
etc. Regardless, I need the technical information. Thanks!