[meteorite-list] First call for alcohol.

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:22:04 -0800 (PST)

I agree with you, Michael. Bill Mason's additive is
great. It preserves the metal and rubber seals while
allowing the use of distilled water.

Alcohol is extremely harsh on a standard lapidary saw.
Not only is not the best coolant, it dissolves the
grease in the bearings, hardens rubber seals and
posses a fire hazard. I see blades spark all the time
on a high-speed saws when cutting meteorites. The
blade will actually cause the alcohol to vaporize as
it froths up the coolant making it even more prone to
ignition. Enclose this vapor under a saw hood, add a
spark and kaboom! Even Houdini couldn't escape this
possibility.

I only mention this because I have heard of others
using alcohol on a standard saw and don't want to read
about burn victims.

Best Regards,

Adam