[meteorite-list] Fwd: getting oriented on orientation

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 20:15:55 EST

In a message dated 3/5/2008 2:52:18 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
MeteorHntr at aol.com writes:
Darryl and All,

I think we all are frustrated when a rounded rocks (or even chunky not even
crusted fragments) are called "oriented." It wastes time as we look for
why
in the world it would be called "oriented" and it makes us wonder "If they
will lie about that, what else are they lying about?"

Maybe the solution is a list very similar to the one you gave, posted at
the
IMCA website explaining what "Oriented" means, and how to self-diagnose an
oriented meteorite. A statement that all IMCA members agree to
"accurately
describe" their meteorites could be given that page, and as such are
obligated
to qualify any specimen as being oriented according to the guidelines set
forth.

Thank you Steve for thinking of the IMCA.

After discussing it with Norbert Classen (HE is the President!!), we agreed
that this kind of project could have its place on the IMCA website.

But I believe that the whole idea could be even improved on. What I suggest
would be a Glossary of terms used in connection with meteorites, with a short
simple explanation of each one of these terms.
Orientation as it is discussed today is just one example, there could also
be other terms like the names of the different classification (eucrite,
diogenite, pallasite,....etc) including the new ones (like metachondrite!) or basic
ones like regmaglypt or fusion crust. Those are just examples. It would help
new collectors.

I do know that such a Glossary does exist already on the NAU website:
_http://www4.nau.edu/meteorite/index.html_
(http://www4.nau.edu/meteorite/index.html) . Thank you Drs. Ted and Jim. It is a very good, very complete resource
that everybody should know. But I am thinking of something much simpler,
oriented (I couldn't help it!) toward new collectors.

Any comments?

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA at aol.com