[meteorite-list] Speck Issues - Reply to this subject

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 15:42:27 -0800 (PST)

Hi Walter and All,

It is interesting that Claxton was mentioned. Every
since I started offering thin cut part slices several
months ago, I have seen a lot being offered in
fragment form, even before Darryl Pitt's auction. I
ask, where did it all come from all of a sudden? Has
a major supplier been holding out?

I lost a lot on Claxton having traded at an extreme
value. The piece I entered in Blood's auction only
realized about $150.00/gram and this piece came from
Michael Blood himself. I will not offer specks of it,
only small part slices, many with crust. The only way
I can come close to breaking even on Claxton is to
offer it in small part slices. Besides, the largest
slice I had shattered when removed from the Riker as a
previous dealer used epoxy to repair a crack in it and
this caused it to stick to the glass.

I personally do not collect falls anymore as I have
lost thousands on each of them. We still have the
Garza stone if anybody is interested as I do not want
to cut it in order to recover our investment.
Possibly, somebody could propose some rare material in
trade.

It all boils down to who can be trusted. In the case
of Michael Blood, I am confident of the provenance for
each piece he offers. This is why the IMCA is so
important. Every dealer has taken an oath of
authenticity and guarantee their offerings. Also,
several prominent scientist belong to the IMCA who can
always do some probe work if needed. If in doubt,
check it out.

All the best,

Adam