[meteorite-list] Lighten up, it's just semantics

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 01:22:07 -0400

Hi Mike, Martin and Darren, Everyone,

Hi everyone, it seems very ironic to me that the entire Pluto
affair/scandal/debate/boondoggle seems to be a bunch of serious
scientists emulating modern day astrologers in the name of science.
Pluto's status is strictly an astrological question whether viewed
historically, currently, or even philosophically. IAU has managed to
do more astrology than all of the world's astrologers combined lately.

To Mike I appreciate your (IMO) sage comment of tolerance of people's
quirks and opinions, not to mention the whole issue of why the word
astrologer crept in, we really can't know now. Just because it
resembles something we all enjoy is no reason to bent out of shape and
make astrologers walk the plank to be scientists or forget the whole
thing.

To Darren, You sure sound like you would fit right in with the Grand
Inquisitor (Head of the Middle Age Inquisition). I disagree with
putting astrologers in retention compounds sequestered with barbed
wire, just for being a little romantic and making up whatever stuff
they do to make themselves happy.

To Martin, if astrologers are such a bane, why is it that they seem to
have a knack for impressing many nice girls where scientists fail
miserably...have you ever discussed you Zodiac sign with a prospective
or actual loved one - and has it helped in some way? When do we go to
Chinese restaurants and get red-faced about the year of the Dragon and
all of that stuff, I'd be surprised if someone said, "those bad
Chinese", "Off with their heads and don't read that or your nose will
get gangrene and you'll never be published in MAPS?"

...and I'll keep quiet for the rest, where Darren was wise not to tread

Best wishes
Doug