[meteorite-list] An oddity in meteorites and their impact locations

From: Pete Shugar <pshugar_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:12:16 -0500

Since I collect Texas meteorites, I like reading and learning about them.
I have stumbled upon a mystery, or shall I say, an intrigueing fact
reguarding
Texas meteorites.
I acquired from Michael Blood a small micro of Monahans 1998. Now it's no
surprise that there is another Monahans (1938). (I am looking for a 1/2 to 5
gr
of this if anyone has it at a price I can afford.) It is a IIF iron. I
began to wonder
about the properties of a IIF as compared to a IAB CD or the IA Odessa or
maybe the
IIAB Fredericksburg.
I noticed a link to other IIF meteorites. Thinking maybe one of these might
be easier to
obtain, I dinged the link.
What came up was a list of 6 IIF meteorites, but the real kicker was the
fact that three of
the six are from Texas! They are:
Monahans 1938,
Del Rio, Tx, 1965 and
Purmela, Tx 1977.
It gets better! The three all fit inside a 300 mile circle!!
That's a pretty high coincidence.
The Monahans is the heaviest by a factor of about 7 times the weight of
either of the other two.
All are finds. Now I gotta wonder if they are from the same event? Should
the meteor have come
in low and from the (approx) Northwest and broke apart high enough, it might
be possible.......?
Any thoughts?

Pete