[meteorite-list] Phoenix Lander

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:15:33 +0100

Hi Sterling et al.,

Naturally you have a valid point, and they must have their reasons, but
surely, figuring out how to use the arm on Mars should surely all have
been done on Earth sims many many times already? - as for having to
write blocks of code and test it to make it move (Christ almighty, life
really doesn't have to be that difficult y'know!), yes naturally there
are the mars variables to worry about and the odd glitch etc, but just
seems strange that they are this far in with relatively little to show
(so far) that's all. But yes, hopefully I guess the diligence will pay
off..

>>Remember, this is a remake mounted on an unused backup
>>spacecraft, a hybrid, a kludge, an Apple running Windows which
>>is emulating Unix (not literally, but you get the idea). You know
>>how much data the Phoenix can hold overnight (if it needs to)?
>>Yes, friends -- 14 Megabytes

Yes but it is hardly a cobble together from radio shack we are talking
fully tested custom made, top quality space hardware here! And it runs
a pretty good Linux O/S deriv. I recall, which has no doubt even been
tested too.

(Programmer gag - I can understand if it is a Linux type OS they would
need to rewrite a quick 'Mars driver', coz the one they have doesn't
quite work...)

14 meg?! Actually that's massive considering most engineering data only
needs to be simple binary text, you should see what the early stuff had
to work with !!

I did chuckle however when they announced the fact that the soil is
sticking to the digger/scoop much more than they thought it would, -
errm what exactly where they expecting in the martian high arctic during
summer ? a nice dry sand that slides off the scoop like a dream?? Does
anyone actually remember the moon? Lol. - I jest of course

Mark