[meteorite-list] Phoenix Lander

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 22:30:21 -0500

Hi,

    I note that all your examples involve return and the possibility
of a rapid exit. We want a robot to last and to perform for as
long as possible; it can't dash home and we wouldn't want it to.
Operating a robot by telepresence over a long light-time delay
is chancy. Phoenix has already had "problems" with radio
transmission and various other minor glitches.

    I recommend reading the following piece about the way the
command structure of the Phoenix "robot" works:
http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/blogsPost.php?bID=202
As you can see, it's not like pushing a big button on the Robot
Control Panel. Things are done by writing blocks of VML2
code to accomplish a specific task, testing them, sending them,
etc. As the SSI Co-Investigator says, "Frankly, any day with
a tomorrow is a good day on Mars."

    Remember, this is a remake mounted on an unused backup
spacecraft, a hybrid, a kludge, an Apple running Windows which
is emulating Unix (not literally, but you get the idea). You know
how much data the Phoenix can hold overnight (if it needs to)?
Yes, friends -- 14 Megabytes. How big is the flash card in your
digital camera?

    I think it's doing a wonderful job. Go slow. Test every foothold
before you put your weight on it. Look before you leap. Small steps,
small steps...

Sterling K. Webb