[meteorite-list] More on Mitchell's Aliens

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 03:01:17 -0500

Hi, All,

> ...someone said (Carl Sagan?) that any technology
> sufficiently advanced from a given culture would
> appear to that culture's Members to be "magic."

    It was Arthur C. Clarke.

> ...just because our current Paradigm
> Prohibits faster than light travel...

    If you think about it a moment, FTL transport makes
aliens hanging out in our solar system less likely, not
more. If they could pop in on us anytime because of
instantaneous transport, they'd take a few snapshots,
grab a burger, and be gone -- poof!

    If they had to travel to our solar system at lightspeed
or less, we could expect they'd be here for several
centuries, perhaps accumulating fuel and resources
for the next leg of their travels, or researching the
picturesque monkeys, or planning world conquest,
whatever.

> ...dismiss any thought of aliens out of hand.

    The truly mysterious logic of "aliens" is why they
would play peek-a-boo with us for nearly a century
(or several centuries if you believe some UFO
theorists). They can cross interstellar gulfs but they're
too dumb to fly over New Mexico without falling?
An accident? What about what are claimed to be
tens of thousands of "sightings"? They really ARE
clumsy. They are picked up on radar, say the stories,
proving that though they can fly from the stars, they
can't compound radar-absorbing paint or sculpt stealth
shapes.

    No suggested rationale to explain their behavior
makes any sense at all. If they wish to remain hidden,
why would they exhibit apparent incompetance in
concealment? If they wish to reveal themselves, why
not do it? If they are studying us, they must be very
slow learners. If they are revealing themselves, why talk
only to UFO jerks and psychoes? They can't figure out
to land on the White House lawn? Elaborate paranoid
theories about their campaign to confuse us are
ridiculous evasions.

    Please! Explain to me what they are doing? Unless
of course, they ain't there... or rather here.

Sterling K. Webb