[meteorite-list] A question about Antarctica vs Alaska meteorite hunting.

From: Ruben Garcia <meteoritemall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:20:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
As most of you know I've been a professional meteorite hunter for years. However, my expertise is limited to the southwestern part of the United States.

I know that many of you follow the work done in Antarctica a lot more closely than I do. I know that meteorites have been recovered there for over two decades and more recently in eastern Manitoba, Canada. All due to ancient glaciers and their movements. My questions are as follows:

1)Has anyone really searched for meteorites in other glacial areas such as Alaska?

2)Is there any reason to believe that meteorites wouldn't be found there? 3)Are the Alaskan glaciers old enough to sufficiently "catch" meteorites?

I may be planning a trip there and would like any advice on the subject.

Ruben Garcia
Phoenix, Arizona
http://www.mr-meteorite.com
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=meteorfright&p=v