[meteorite-list] Chergach (a.k.a Erg Chech, Mali)

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 19 Jul 2008 19:27:47 UT

Hello Listees, Listoids and Chergach owners,

Meanwhile there are 7 Chergach (H5) specimens + one thin section in my collection.
Five of these (+ that thin section) were purchased from Philippe Thomas, one comes
from Andi Gren, one endcut is from Mirko Graul.

Well, when I look at the impact melt slice I purchased from Andi, the H5 classification
is quite obvious because chondrules are sparse and hard to locate in those lighter-colored
areas that are surrounded by the dark, in some areas vesicular, melt flows.

But when I look at that cut specimen from Philippe and the endcut I got from Mirko
today, I have a hard time believing this should be an H5. Chondrules are so closely
packed in the bluish gray matrix areas that you might think you are looking at an H3
or an H4 chondrite. Wouldn't an H3-5 or an H4-5 classification be more appropriate?

Any input highly appreciated!

Bernd