[meteorite-list] Tomorrow in History + AMNH NYC/meteorite excursions

From: ensoramanda <ensoramanda_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 20:03:24 +0100

Hi Geoff,

Greetings from a cool summer in the UK. Lots of heavy rain showers at
the moment...great for preserving my collection!!!

Missed out on my planned Holbrook visit when I came to the Tucson show
as it was blowing a blizzard up there when I arrived...perhaps next
time. Also didnt get down to see the meteorites in NY last time we went
to my nephew at MIT ...they're all on my list. Sounds like a great display.

Did however get to see the displays at both the Adelaide and Perth
museums in Oz at Christmas...awsome irons...and got to the Henbury
craters and near to lots of other famous falls down under...found a good
memorial to the Cranboune meteorites south of Melbourne too...a good
article here.

http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/meteorite/article.asp?Item=3059

 ....we had quite an expedition.

Just arrived back from a couple of weeks in Morocco on holiday...now
that was hot! Erfoud, Rassini and Merzouga were scorching, and many
sandstorms...but had a great time. Lots of people trying to sell
meteorwrongs...basically any rock that stuck to a magnet. I think many
were genuinely convinced they had meteorites and were quite interested
to compare them with the genuine article when I showed them some pieces.

Didnt manage to meet any of the folks who emailed me with advice and
details from the list though...just mistimed everything....but did see
some interesting material though...word soon got around and people
turned up with pieces... a couple of great oriented achondrites that
looked like eucrites to me, both over 1kg! Some nice Bassikounou and
Taza sculpted pieces, other achondrites that looked like Howardites and
Diogenites with a few carbonaceous pieces too. No real bargains though
as far as I could make out...but then I'm not a dealer and not the best
at bartering! That illusive rare lunar didnt jump out of the desert at
me either! Unless the strange piece I picked up does turn out to be
special...but I doubt it.

If anyone wants to see any shots of some of these let me know...and I
will send them or post them somewhere if there is a lot of interest.

Anyway...another meteorite related excursion ticked off the list...quite
an experience visiting the country where a vast majority of the finds
have come from.

Anyone else out there been on any interesting meteorite excursions recently?

Best regards,

Graham Ensor, UK