[meteorite-list] field guide to meteors and meteorites..

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 13:01:44 +0100

I have just written a book review for an astronomy magazine on that book 'Field guide to meteors and meteorites', whilst I can't re-print the article here, I can say it's a very nice little book, well worth getting if you can find it..

It has an intro on IDP (Interplanetary Dust Particles), and some background on meteors and the resultant flow shapes, followed by pages on each of the rock types and good pics of various falls. There is a great section on thin sections, and advice on how to set up a microscope, and how to interpret the colour extinctions, (this is something that has been missing from most books). There are some good pics on recent finds such as Steves mega find, and some advice on metal detectors to use. There is also a great section on nickel testing and etching etc as well as other identification tips. All in all a very good book, and at ?22 here in the uk is not too bad for such a good book.

I'd say it was as good as the EofM, and it's a nice handy small size. It does contain some up to the minute stuff such as web site addresses (that might change or be removed long term), and the layout takes a bit of time to get used to but it is a very good book and 'ought to be on everyone's book shelf imho...

Best
Mark