[meteorite-list] RFS Picture of the Day: Phil Morgan's Flyer

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 21:28:36 -0400

Hi Matthias and other meteorite friends,

Matthias wrote, with reference to Winona and Camp Verde-

'- was something special. Couldn't that point to the fact that they
observed the meteorite falling? Any ideas about that?'

That really is a 1,000,000 dollar question for paleo-meteorite
collectors and their modern day counterparts ;]

Unless viejo Pendejo paleo-Indians saw Canyon Diablo fall and were
close enough to the event to realize what happened [the closeness IMO
is feasible imagining the Gran Teton bolide]; but far enough away to
survive, it would be hard to come up with a convincing story regarding
the 'Camp Verde' mass to have been a recorded witnessed fall for
Indians in the region ca. 50,000 years later if we are to believe that
upstart M.I.T. researcher who first suggested it was paired to Canyon
Diablo.

I guess Winona is another animal, though as to my knowledge and extent
of Google capability, don't know of and cannot find any studies that
have actually dated the Winona meteorite's terrestrial age. It would
seem to mirror the case of Glorieta Mountain which enjoys that
interesting Indian medicine man relationship also in the first half of
the last millenium.

These later two meteorites would seem to fall into this nasty
terrestrial dating abyss where they are too old for thermoluminescence
to yield palatable results and possibly, if we want to believe they are
orally recorded witnessed fa
lls in Indian tradition, too young to be
studied by carbon 14 dating techniques unambiguously.

So while I really am with you at heart to consider the possibility that
these were known as witnessed falls, there are too many other
explanations I could imagine that would seem equally plausible, when
faced with a lack of hard evidence. For example, I would suggest that
strange stones, especially heavy ones that were out of place - and I
bet some Indians were very good observational geologists given their
need to live off the land, could have been venerated just for being
different. Or perhaps no veneration at all is involved...I could
imagine a scenario in a community oriented culture that for whatever
reason, an rock could be perceived to be special or have value - and be
cached in hopes of the finder getting a monopoly on benefiting from
it's desirable properties. These cysts would seem to be excellent
hiding places to that effect - you know - so the governing council
didn't expropriate the object in the name of the nation, or something
like that.

The bandages or feather blankets, Mummy wrappings, etc., don't
necessarily imply veneration. Anyone with an iron meteorite and poorly
insulated house would probably want to wrap their iron in something
absorbant for protection, which is a practical alternate supposition.
Even most stony meteorites are well served when wrapped in an absorbant
and/or insulatin
g material. The Indians were probably primitive by our
standards in their knowledge of meteorites, but most Indian cultures
seem to have great appreciation for nature and they certainly weren't
sstupid. Here is a picture of Winona upon its 1928 discoveryin the
cyst in the floor-
http://www.daviddarling.info/images/Winona_meteorite.jpg

Not discounting the witnessed fall theory in the case of Winona, just
keeping an open mind for other possibilities besides natural bias to
want to see these Indians as having been bitten by the meteorite
collecting bug [and why not - this was true for other tribes that
recognized the utility of the materials]. I can imagine an alien
species coming to earth after our mutually assured destruction, and
finding how many of us collectors venerate meteorites, putting them in
special display cases and with silica gel and the like, and coming to
the conclusion that meteorite collectors venerated meteorites. Of
course, though not exactly in the same train of thought they would be
right ;]

Why Winona fell apart upon recovery after perhaps nearly 1000 years in
Indian custody seems to be worthy of beng one of the great reputed
events in meteoritics. Either we're missing some important piece of
the story [question mark], or perhaps the Indians really knew it
required a little more TLC than whatever nasty cleaning or stress it
was subjected to in by the archaeologist that recovered it.

Cheers and best wishes,
Doug