[meteorite-list] RFS Picture of the Day: Phil Morgan's Flyer

From: Matthias Bärmann <majbaermann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 00:27:33 +0200

Hi Doug, list members , -

"'On the top of a mesa a few miles east of Camp Verde, George E. Dawson
came upon a stone cyst in the corner of an ancient Indian dwelling.
Instead of finding a child burial as he expected, he found a 61.5 kg
metallic meteorite wrapped in a feather-cloth."

As far as I know it was nearly the same with the Winona meteorite. I was
always moved by the fact that American Indian tribes such as the Sinagua
(which were related to the Anasazi I guess) buried a meteorite in a way they
did with children. Perhaps they considered the falling of a meteorite to be
an act of birth? Obviously they were sure that this stone - and Winona
really doesn't look spectacular - was something special. Couldn't that point
to the fact that they observed the meteorite falling? Any ideas about that?

Best regards,

Matthias Baermann