[meteorite-list] Holocene start Extinction Level Event

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 07:15:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sterling, all -

As you read this, please remember I've had a major stroke.

You left a new disease off of your list of extinction causes, and this could do the job quite fast, evolving among a starved population.

We don't know if the Holocene Start Impacts were from fragments of Comet Encke, or another comet. I don't think Clube, Napier, and Baillie have commented on them at all.

The starvation span may only have been for a year, or for a few months. But then a short time without food is enough to kill. Add in human hunting of the remainder, and then gone.

As you say, we have trouble imagining the ancient climate. For that matter, I wonder how much of the "Younger Dryas is simply the measurement of cold melt water. I don't know how warm it was to the south during the last Ice Age, hence the note on Mammoth fur.

Mammoth/Mastodon - the way I keep it straight is to remember that mastodon were bush eaters, if need be, and evolved for it. I don't know about the teeth on American Musk Ox, but suspect they were long grass eaters as well.

Voles are dung eaters, and any disease would have hit them hard. Given your dates, I would suspect new European disease vectors, brought in by the Red Paint People at 8,350 BCE.

I think that you and I can agree that given that there are now some six billion people on this planet, it might be nice to know with some certainty how it operated and will operate.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas