[meteorite-list] Mercury's crack habit

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 02:42:41 -0600

Hi,

    Here in the midst of the Great Tucson Lull, those
of us not there, get to look at pictures of another place
where we're not: Mercury! Here's the biggest (stitched)
picture of the Mysterious Spider at Proctor Crater:
http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/gallery/sciencePhotos/pics/Prockter06.jpg

    The odd thing in the Messenger photo is not the
Spider -- it's the Crater. I've been staring at it off and on
for about an hour and I'm beginning to think the Crater
isn't a crater at all. At first glance, oh, sure, a crater!

But it appears to me that the illuminated crater wall
(the sun is from lower right) is completely vertical. No
impact crater has vertical walls; theoretical models of a
crater are conical. But then there's slump and rebound,
magma flooding, depositation, and other processes
that fill the crater or change its diameter to depth ratio,
but none of them, as far as I know, will produce a
vertical crater wall.

    OK, maybe slump, in the extreme case, could produce
an entirely vertical wall, but shouldn't there be a massive
pile of slumped debris at the base of that wall? There's no
pile of slump there. Then I start looking around. It's round;
it has a central rebound peak -- it's got to be a crater!

    But now, even the central peak doesn't really look like a
peak at all. A peak would be conical; this looks like a vertical
fault that exposes a stretch of vertical wall (the linear features
are at the same apparent angle as the crater wall, so presumably
they're at the same sun angle). It's not a peak; it's a thrust fault.

    What we don't know is the side angle, the angle of view
of the spacecraft. Vertical? Or tilted? And at what angle? But,
I don't think the geometry of the sunlight changes at any angle.
I'm beginning to think we're looking at a subsidence caldera
here, not a crater at all. (Here's a picture of an Earthly one
from the great vantage point of the International Space Station):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:La_Cumbre_-_ISS.JPG

    IF it's a subsidence caldera, the presence of all those odd
radiating channels is a gimme; explaining them isn't a problem.
Well, it is for me, but it isn't for a geologist. Oh, I have ideas:
a huge magna chamber underneath the "crater" and the channel
field; expansion of the magma that raised and cracked the
surface; then the rapid escape of a silica-poor and "runny"
magma; followed by the collapse of the caldera and the channels.

    For decades, there was a snarly back-and-forth about the
craters of the Moon (and other bodies) between the impact
guys and the volcanic guys. (Americans were mostly impact
guys; Brits and Ozzies mostly volcanic guys.) Impact guys
won the Crater Bowl. So, sticking your neck out now and
saying "That's no (impact) crater!" is a chancy business no
matter what planet you do it on.

    It would be just like the Universe. You think you've got
everything figured out -- it's all craters. Then the Universe tosses
you a planet with a volcano that looks like a crater! And there
are a lot of other suspiciously volcanic features too. So much
new data.

    And I want to thank Larry Lebowsky who pointed out the
last time I posted about "volcanism" on Mercury that I used
the term "vulcanism" throughout. You will note that this post
contains no references whatsoever to Spock-like or hard-rubber
beings in any form.

Sterling K. Webb