[meteorite-list] another Kem-Kem

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:54:34 +0100

Hi Jeff, Dean, Bernd,

I totally agree with Jeff: Kem-Kem was another current name for meteorites
found when the Sahara rush started.
Here is another exemple:

I purchased in 1998 from Michel Franco, the main mass of "Kem-Kem", a
nicely oriented black-crusted cut individual weighing 942.5 g, though a
"simple" L6 (tkw = 1088 g).
He said that he proposed that name but without guarantee it be accepted. It
was because he found it at Kem-Kem plateau (a vast area, see maps). Michel
felt that this name, at the time original, just could sound well....

Some time later, Michel kindly notified me that "my Kem-Kem" received a
strange name....NWA 052 !
I presume that at that time, the NWA rush just started, as suggested by the
low number.

Later, I jumped to the Met. Bull. to look for more info about NWA 052 and,
indeed, it is noted that "Kem-Kem" is a pseudonym of that meteroite.

I don't know whether more NWA's did also receive that same pseudo but it
could be worth a search through the Met. Bull. database.

I take this opportunity to underline the high professionalism and honesty
of Michel who is known for long to take care of his customers by informing
them with all the follow-up of the meteorites he uses to find and sell.

G'night,

Zelimir

17:54 27/01/2008 +1100, Jeff Kuyken a ?crit :

Prof. Zelimir Gabelica
Universit? de Haute Alsace
ENSCMu, Lab. GSEC,
3, Rue A. Werner,