[meteorite-list] Field work on Campo de Cielo

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:40:26 -0800 (PST)

Hi Dirk, all -

Thanks for this valuable link. Since Benny's taken the
Cambridge Conference over to global warming
scepticism, impact researchers have lacked a global
clearing house
for immediate information exchange. If you think that
I'm bitter about this, you'd be right - there's
nothing like loosing a key tool along with a stroke.

While the Brazilian team's English is certainly better
than my Portugese, their translation is still rough.
(I wish I were on a beach in Brazil sorting it out for
them, instead of here in Illinois with a frozen car.
By the way, your own work in English is formidable.)

Masse has been published now, and I assume that his
papers are already in your bibliography.

I myself brought up the "constellation" jaguar here on
the meteorite list about 5 years ago. The city of
Cuzco is laid out in the shape of a jaguar, and this
is not incidental. If I remember correctly Harold
Osborne was working through Andean astronomical
systems, though I have not seen his book yet.

One important work to be done at Campo de Cielo will
be to look for the products of neutron and proton
release. The impact may not have been massive enough
for that to have happened, but it will need to be
checked someday.

The absolute date for the Campo de Cielo impact is
17 February, 2325. It was observed by the Zoque
(olmec) in Central America. We know this from the Maya
inscriptions, and because the Thompson correlation has
been confirmed since I published, as the absolute date
for the Rio Cuarto impacts:
25 October, 2,360 BCE has been confirmed by tree ring
studies. For an introduction, see my book "Man and
Impact in the Americas", pages 95-115.

Why is this date important to us now? I still think
that there are meteoritic streams which the Earth
encounters every so often, though working through the
orbital mechanics of this is well beyond me now.
Elemental matches between different dated meteorite
falls may be of great aide in sorting this out.

I had intended to write up some Cherokee meteorite
lore for Meteorite magazine, but was distracted by the
attack on Hibben's observations. I also wanted to work
through the Casa Grande materials, but was distracted
from this as well.

Once again, thanks for the link. By the way, did you
ever see the Ainu impact account which I recovered? It
should be in the Cambridge Conference Archives at the
University of Georgia.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas

PS - your font size showed up too big in firefox.