[meteorite-list] Life on Earth 'Began on a Radioactive Beach'

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:24:49 +0100

If there were a lot of radioactive beaches then it would appear in a
number of deposits as depleted uranium. As far as I know the only place
that depleted uranium have been found is in Oklo, Gabon.
http://www.ocrwm.doe.gov/factsheets/doeymp0010.shtml

An ore with depleted levels of uranium would add some credibility to
that theory but right now I only see it as a highly unlikely event and
in best case only a minor contributor to the primordial soup.

Other sources of building blocks as carbonaceous meteorites and
lightning strikes in an methane atmosphere is so much bigger than the
effect from a 5kW nuclear reactor. (I don't remember exact effect but it
wasn't high.)

/G?ran